Monday, November 16, 2009

Run girl run!



What a fantastic victory at the gym today. For the first time in almost a year, I was able to run! Not jog slowly, but really run. Yippee!!! I couldn't believe it. It came out of nowhere, like a rogue snowball in a surprise ambush. I was at the gym, walking on the treadmill and feeling pretty good. My goal was to do at least 45 minutes of fast walking. I set the treadmill to a 2% incline (to mimic real road conditions) and chose the 5K course. By the time I got to 45 minutes, I saw that the 5K mark wasn't that far away. Somewhere deep inside, the girl that was once a great athlete, awoke from her long slumber and willed me to go for it. I kicked up the speed and the next thing you know, I was running...really running! I haven't been able to run for many months and today, I finally did it. As I crossed the virtual finish line at a bit under 60 minutes, I was grinning ear to ear and I could barely contain myself. I literally skipped off the machine. I am sure the begrudged woman beside me thought I was a nut. I am so proud of myself. I can see that I am already changing the way I think. It's these little steps that will make all the difference.

No comments: