Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pursuit of a dream.

Let's see...how many more days of this pre surgery high protein low carb diet to go? One more week...thank God because I am getting a little tired of drinking shakes. Food is such a part of our culture and taking the time to enjoy a meal is more than just about nourishing your body, it has a social and psychological aspect to it. Eating with others is enjoyable and despite trying to drink my shake slowly, it's just not the same as munching on something while chatting. The good thing about the Band is that it encourages you to take time to chew your food. So I will still be able to enjoy the experience of having a meal with someone. I had wondered whether Bandsters feel left out at gatherings involving food but I don't think that has to be the case. Just because one eats less food, doesn't mean they can't enjoy themselves in the company of others who may eat more. I have a feeling I might have to sell this idea to a few well meaning grandmotherly types in my family but once they see how great I look and feel, they'll understand. They'll still try to scoop extra pasta on my plate, but they'll understand when I don't eat it.

I am curious as to how things are going to go in these next few weeks for me. I have a feeling it won't be as difficult as I think. I am just happy to be getting on with doing this for myself. It is the perfect time in my life to do this and I am really ready to meet this challenge head on. I have no doubt that I will be sitting here in a years time smiling at this entry. I will be amazed at the transformation in my body in just a short year, and most of all, I will be proud of myself for having the courage to pursue this dream.

3 comments:

Amy said...

The social and psychological aspects, along with the emotional aspects, of not sharing meals with my family and friends this last week has probably been harder than the physical aspect. I look forward to going on this journy with you. When's your banding?

Amy

Elliana said...

Thank you Amy for your comment. It's so good to hear from a fellow Bandster-to-Be. My banding is booked for next Wednesday. It's quickly approaching and I am getting very excited about starting this new chapter in life. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Amy said...

YEAH! We share the same banding date...guess that means you are stuck with me as a band sister. HA, yes, I am corny.

Anyhow, I can't wait. I'm nervous, excited, and really ready to be done with this pre-op diet (although I do have to continue it for a week after surgery, but I'm not thinking about that right now).

Amy