Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cookies for Santa



Ahoy mates! Just thought that was a good way to start today's post. I missed yesterday because I was busy getting ready for Christmas. Yes, after a lovely protein shake, I felt very energized and decided to go grocery shopping with my family to get all the baking things I need for the different squars and cookies I am making this year. Is it sacrilegious to talk about Christmas baking here...I think not. The best thing about the band is you can have a Greek Christmas cookie without worrying you'll end up devouring the whole lot, pan and all, after everyone has gone to bed Christmas Eve.


I love it! I have never been so excited about Christmas. I am not at all worried about gaining weight and how another New Year's resolution will eventually fall by the wayside. For the first time in a very long time, I am focused on enjoying a little of everything, feeling satisfied and most of all being able to focus on the fun with my family. I'll give you an example of some of the sabotage that goes on. Some years at my office, it has been an absolute chocolate orgy...there are chocolates, cakes, and nuts everywhere. It's actually disgusting how much people (myself included) consume on the guise that it's okay because it's the holidays. I am going to be very happy not missing any of this.


Even at the grocery store yesterday, there were samples abound. I couldn't have even one, but I didn't care. I was more excited to feel great, look good and be healthy than miss some taco chips in a paper cup were hardly a worthy trade. Electing to take this very significant step in my life has already started to change my perspective. I find myself thinking and behaving a little like I once did (before I had a weight concern). In fact, the memories have started flooding back and I am really aware that I had a different outlook when I wasn't overweight. I behaved differently. I acted like a fit person acts. It had been so long, I had almost forgotten but these days of rest have given me time to really think about these things. Shifting one's perspective makes all the difference in one's success. Being able to visualize yourself as the person you want to be makes everything come together so that can happen. The band acts as a reminder to stay the course and focus on your vision.


I had a major NSV yesterday. I hopped on the scale and I am now in the 200s. Woo hoo! I did a little happy dance before jumping back on just to make sure I read it correctly. I haven't been in the 200s since a year ago (before baby). I never dreamt in my life that I would get to the 300s mind you but it honestly just crept closer and closer until the pregnancy put me over the top. I was very fortunate though to have lived a whole life time of regular exercise and to have been a former athlete. This was my saving grace during pregnancy as I sailed through with no complications working right up to the two days before and going back to work six weeks later. I knew though, in my heart that this would be my only golden ticket and the likelihood of fairing so well a second time wouldn't be as great. This was a major motivating factor in my decision to take control of my destiny and get to a healthy weight. For different people, it will be different things that motivate them to make these life changes. For me, it was the realization that I wanted to live the life I had imagined, full of love, laughter and happiness.


I am going to go wrap some presents now. I think I'll put some Christmas music on and dance around a bit too...there...you see...the real me is back already ;-)




3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! You're way ahead of schedule if you're already wrapping Christmas presents. Must be nice to have wrapped ones under the tree though. I just made my first Christmas cookies of the season last night. Enjoy the holiday season and congrats on a major milestone in this journey -- getting into the 200s!

Heather
gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com

THE DASH! said...

WHOOOO - fantastic NSV - I'm stoked for you!!! I love your mindset too ... "I was more excited to feel great, look good and be healthy than miss some taco chips in a paper cup that were hardly a worthy trade." Pretty much sums it all up in a simple, yet smartly said little sentence!!

Amy said...

First, congrats on twoterville! Can't wait to join you.

Second, love the way you think and write. Lots of gems in this one!

Amy